Location: Auburn, Alabama, USA
Operation Time: 1851 -
The Auburn University Chapel was built in 1851 as a Presbyterian church. During the Civil War, the building was a Confederate hospital for wounded soldiers for a little while. Later, the building was temporarily divided into classrooms when the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College burned down in 1887. The church was renovated some time around 1900. The building was later sold to the college in 1921, and became the YMCA/YWCA center for a few years. Auburn Players Theater, the college's acting troupe, was housed there from 1927 to 1973. The structure received additional renovations between 1973 and 1976 to convert to the Auburn University Chapel. A legend about "Sydney Grimlett", a ghost of a Confederate soldier who died in the temporary hospital, says that a man haunts the school. When the building became a theater, Sydney began to haunt the acting troupe. When the troupe was moved to a different part of the campus, he followed. He is now reported to haunt the Telfair Peet Theatre. Auburn Theater students often leave Skittles candies to Sydney before performing shows.
- Opened as a Presbyterian church in 1851.
- Temporarily a Confederate hospital during the Civil War.
- Became a school for short time in 1887.
- Was renovated around 1900.
- Sold to a college in 1921.
- Later became a YMCA/YWCA for a few years.
- Became a theater and operated from 1927 to 1973.
- Haunted by a Civil War soldier.
- Sydney Grimlett - The Confederate ghost